Updated: Sep 9, 2019
Confession: I’m a podcast loyalist and I have been neglecting books for years.
It wasn’t until this past year I started taking an interest in books again and thank goodness I did. There’s so much incredible content I had been neglecting simply because I couldn’t hit the subscribe button on my podcast app. Don’t get me wrong, podcasts are wonderful and I have a huge list of recommendations I could share, but that’s for a future blog. Right now, I want to focus a handful of books that have really helped shape my outlook on entrepreneurship, leadership and self-worth, both professionally as a social media manager and personally too. Let’s jump right in!
1. Crushing It! How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence – And How You Can, Too by Gary Vaynerchuk: Let me start by saying I’m a huge Gary Vaynerchuk fan. His no-nonsense and blunt delivery gets me every time. This book was a page-turner for me and it really hit home on so many levels. If you’re looking for the fire that will drive you to create your best social media content – this is it.
2. Max Potential: On Happiness, Fulfillment and Being Better Than You Were Yesterday by Aaron Ammar: This book really helped me evaluate by day-to-day and understand what exactly drives happiness and fulfillment in my life, especially as you’re navigating new goals. By the end of the book I had created my own personal mission statement too.
3. Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown: With over 1 million books sold, it’s easy to see why everyone loves this book. Daring Greatly challenges the cultural myth that vulnerability is equal to weakness and instead proves why it should be considered courage.
4. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson: There’s a lot of unfiltered and honest truth in this book. I enjoyed hearing why it’s important to embrace your fears, faults and uncertainties.
5. Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek: I am currently reading this book and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far. I’ve been looking forward to this book because of its focus on leadership and why everyone should be waking up to work that inspires you daily.
Overall, these books all helped me gain an understanding of what happiness looks like to me, what it means to be a leader, an entrepreneur and how I can build a better personal and professional life. I hope you enjoy them too.